COBOL Conversion Tools Service
A common obstacle with application modernization is that most legacy applications have hardcoded the company’s business processes and logic, which are tightly coupled with other aspects of the legacy code, making the dependencies of the process complex.
We recognize this is a huge barrier for many businesses and have done extensive work to minimize the risk for you. Our team of experts employs a proven methodology, and use industry-leading assessment and migration tools to leverage the cloud. This is accomplished by significantly reducing the complexity of application modernization and Cloud migration. For example, one set of COBOL to the Cloud assessment and migration tools we use comes from Micro Focus, the owners of Visual COBOL and Micro Focus COBOL.
- COBOL applications have two options: re-hosting COBOL, or COBOL language transformation
- Applications in COBOL can be re-hosted to another operating system
- COBOL applications may be transformed to modern languages such as C# .NET and Java
- Applications in COBOL may be moved from mainframes to Windows or LINUX Platforms
- Legacy COBOL applications may also be transformed and deployed on Cloud platforms
The COBOL Conversion Process
COBOL applications can be moved from their existing operating system environment, to a new and different operating system environment. For instance, a large COBOL application that is on an IBM or Unisys mainframe can be “re-hosted” to a Windows or LINUX operating system environment, with the database, and other components like JCL, getting moved and converted as part of the re-hosting process. The newly re-hosted application may then be operated in the Cloud, or on-premise.
COBOL applications that are candidates for transformation to a different programming language, such as C# .NET or Java, require a different methodology and process compared with re-hosting. In the case of an application transformation, we rely on intellectual property to perform most of the automatic transformation work necessary to deploy a newly transformed application on the Cloud, or on an on-premise style deployment.
- Evaluate the existing COBOL applications for re-hosting and transformation
- Decide on a strategy for the COBOL applications: re-hosting or transformation
- Develop project plans according to your request
- Assign staff and manage the project to conclusion
- Deliver the results of the COBOL application to you
COBOL Conversion Safety and Security
Our professionals will perform all client work in a safe and secure environment. The work will be performed at your site, and at secure Astadia facilities, as appropriate.
- Assign Astadia professionals with appropriate security credentials
- Maintain a safe and secure project environment
- Secure and protect your Intellectual Property
- Deliver COBOL application project results to you
- Complete and secure project
COBOL Conversion Deliverables
We’ll produce a complete profile of your target COBOL project, which typically lasts several weeks. At the project conclusion, you will receive a transformed application and database, and documentation, per the specifications defined in the planning stage of the project.
- Discuss project plans with you, including all security-related issues
- Deliver a preliminary package to help you prepare for the project
- Meet with you on a regular basis to discuss project status
- Present you with final project results
- Project concludes and we discuss next steps
Choose Astadia for your COBOL Conversion Project
Over the past 20 years, we have successfully completed more than 100 Legacy Application Migration projects, all of which required different services. Many of these projects involved COBOL applications. Our skills and experience with COBOL modernization, and our proven results with clients in this category, make Astadia the best partner to conduct your COBOL Conversion project.
In addition, we offer a number of services to help you resolve application and database issues, and move through the entire “Legacy to Cloud” experience.
- Proven track record of more of experience
- Broad skill set and experience base
- Clear path to the Cloud for your Legacy Portfolio
- Full services across the entire system life cycle
- Fixed price, fixed timeframe set of deliverables for your business